Race day! Biggest social event of the year. $55 for entry, and all the amount of food and alcohol you could want.
I started the morning off by enjoying a nice breakfast with my friends Cam, Nigel, Jesse, Kalvin and Kelly. Consisting of eggs, bacon, and goon (with orange juice of course). But obviously if I paid $55 for free alcohol, I had to get my moneys worth, so I didn't drink too much.
The track itself was atleast half the quality as the Arlington Race Track back home is. Just everything about it was "worse" but I didn't care it was hell fun. And besides this race track had something amazing, they had an old man carrying a bag of money who you tell your bets to and he told it to the lady who prints out the ticket. It was so old school and that old man was definitely a professional.
As a guy, it is hard for me to take a lot of pictures. Because I am always too focused in the moment and having to good of a time to think about taking pictures. But today I think I did pretty good job, I mean 20 pictures good no? Well I consider it an accomplishment between drinkin beers and chattin people up. I didn't make a whole lot of bets as I usually do at arlington for multiple reasons. For one, programs cost $5, doesn't even come free with entry. I had loose change of $4 in my pocket and tried to barter the old lady handing them out. But she declined me in a heart beat, there was no way she was moving.
"How much for a program?"
"Five Dollars"(As she hands the program out to me)
(I put my hand in my pocket and pull out $4) "Oh this is all I got."
Without a word she pulls the program back and starts looking for the next customer.
Anyway so I was programless and had no clue what horse to bet on so I went with the sound strategy that Mike Reindl developed. Bet on the inner 4 or 5 horses with decent odds and pick them to place, then you'll win some money. So first race I bet on #2 to place. Bam. Won $6.60. Next race I wanted to bet on 2 again but my head told me not to because 2 couldn't possibly win twice in a row. Too bad #2 did win again but this time I ended up with Zilch. I didn't win from thereon out, but I also only bet on 5 races the whole day. I even let this girl, Abby make a bet for me. Her horse came in a whopping dead last. So much for good luck haha. So I ended the day with only losing the $4 that I was about to spend on a program anyways.
5pm: Race day was over, and the taps were bare dry so we packed up and went back home. I made some quick dinner, chugged a red bull, and started on the goon again. We partied in multiple apartments (I don't know whose really) and somehow I ended up in surfers paradise where all the bars and clubs are with my roommate graham, my buddy john walsh, his mates, and abby the girl who lost me $2 haha. I vaguely remember getting handed a coupon for free entry somewhere and we partied there for the night and then I made it back home in a cab with graham and abby. I have no idea where my aussie friends went that night. But damn, it was a fun day.
No comments:
Post a Comment