Monday, August 8, 2011

Family No Matter Where You Are


Today I took a bus to byron bay, which is a beautiful area with an amazing beach, lighthouse, and shops. I heard there was supposed to be sunday markets, but I couldn't find them so I just assumed it was similar to the whole fair ordeal that the shops along the road were just the markets. But I found out I was wrong and it was too late because I was being picked up in 30 minutes. Byron bay felt a lot like ESF though. Plenty of people walking around bare foot, signs similar to no fracking and other environmental concerns, and there were a lot of people that had dread locks too. Estelle, I know you're reading this, and yes it made me miss you and your dreads. This also calls for a shout out to all my fellow stumpies, representing us from the other side of the world.

My grand uncle, Peter, who is Oma's (BeBe) brother picked me up from byron bay. We drove to their house in Lismore, which is a lot of Aussie country land. It was great to see the Aussie country side. It was so pretty and great to see some new scenery. It also happened to be his 82nd birthday so we got to celebrate his birthday with his wife Alida, her son's family, and the two Chinese exchange students that live with them. Peter and Alida take in exchange students for about 10 weeks at a time to get them adjusted to independent living in a new country. One of the chinese student name was Robert. He was almost as tall as I was and loves cars and basketball. His favorite player is Kobe Bryant because "he is the greatest active player". I thought it was a great choice over lebron. He also likes Derrick Rose a lot. Anyway it was great to meet Peter and Alida, they are very nice people and it was cool to explore more of my dutch heritage. I also got to go hiking in Alida's son's farm acreage. I found a waterfall and got to explore a new type of forest, it felt really really good to be hiking in the woods again. I also saw a kangaroo before it hopped away. Overall it was great weekend and great to experience more new things. I look forward to further experiences.


1 comment:

  1. Ian I misssss you! I was barefoot for the entire 5 weeks I was sailing... totally thought of you <3 ENJOY!

    BTW (this is Kim on her best friend's account)

    ReplyDelete