Saturday, July 30, 2011

Kangaroos > Lions, Tigers, Bears

Today I woke up at 6:45 am to go to the wildlife sanctuary with graham and my German friend, sam. It was a long hour and 15 min bus ride and we nearly missed it because we forgot to push the stop button in time. The bus driver got pissed and pulled over to the side of the rode and let us out. We go into the park around 9 am and we basically had the place to ourselves. But first to get into the park you have to take this mini train that I barely fit in. Vince, you would've gone ape over this train.


After we hopped off the train, we saw the koalas, they were sleeping of course, but most of them had their little babies curled in between their arms, it was adorable. Right next to the Koalas was the Wombats. Only we saw only one wombat, but they were so much bigger than I had imagined. It was like a little tank that could totally beat the shit out of a pig. The wombat was really cool, and then we made it through the birds of prey, which had a showing later on in the day that was pretty cool. My favorite bird was the pelican, I guess I realized I never saw one in person or what, but it looked bad ass flying in and eating a ton of fish. By the way there are cockatoos, lorikeets, and parrots that fly around everywhere. It's weird to see them all the time. We got to the Kangaroo area and it was Sweeeeeeet!! It was this large gated area where kangaroos just hopped around freely. You legit got to chill with kangaroos. I guess muh mates didn't capture the best image of me, I wish they got me spooning with the kangaroo. I was big spoon of course, couldn't become the kangaroos bitch. I would've challenged one to a boxing match but after petting them and feeling their muscles and realize that they stand on their tail and use legs and arms, I'd be fucked. So I just gave them food instead. And some of the kangaroos had little joeys in the pouches. It was a great place to be in.


Then I saw the huge saltwater crocodile. I would've tried to remember how big it was but of course the man presenting the crocodile information said it in meters so it went through one ear and out the other. This guy was fuckin huge though, if I had to guess in feet I'd say around 26 feet. They didn't feed him because I guess saltwater crocodiles don't eat for 6 months of the year because it gets too cold and their metabolism is too slow.


There were also a lot of cool reptiles and amphibians in this place. They had a short reptile show which included a monitor lizard, some poisonous snakes, and an anaconda (which I got to hold). The long necked turtle was really interesting. They did not have sea turtles though at this sanctuary. I plan on making it out to the great barrier reef one weekend.

After we saw pretty much ever main species of animals that live in Australia we went to the nearby beach. It had this huge rock that you could get up on top of and see for miles. The sun was setting too, so it was really pretty. We went to the surf club for dinner and I had my first seafood here in the outback, flathead. It was really good and not expensive at all. We finally got back home and I had a night to just chill out.



There are more pics on facebook, I'm still trying to figure out how to upload a whole album or slideshow to this blog.
-Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment