Friday, September 2, 2011

Socceroos V. War Elephants

The school week wasn't very exciting. I finished my lab report, did the usual (which i shouldn't get into cuz i'm in australia) But thursday after I was done with class I went out into the nearby woods to go for a stroll. During my stroll I decided to attempt an aussie bow drill, so my first attempt will be from a paperbark tree. Whilst searching for the best timber to use, using my awesome silviculture skills I was able to pick out the trees that were getting out grown and making a better stand. :-) Whilst harvesting I heard a nearby pushing rustling and then quick short scurries. I was really curious to what it was so I froze all movements. After a minute out of the bushes I saw a little mouse pop out. It was really cute, and looked like it had the softest fur. The mouse was booking it back to its home though underneath the large tree I was hanging out under. Soon there after I felt something crawling up my left leg. I looked down and it was tick! I didn't know that had ticks here, I never thought I'd be so fascinated to see a tick before. But considering the amount of ticks that I had gotten over the summer through work at CFC this was no biggie. I think Joe sheetz, Joe rucks, Kate, and I had a combined total of like 100 ticks. Anyway the tick here was the same size as the ones back home in Chicago and not as small as the ones back in New York. The tick was also greyish/white and was a speed demon. Anyway can't believe I just ranted about ticks. After that I think I found my first sit spot here. It is this huge clayish rock in the middle of the woods. Good place to get away.


Friday I went to a world cup qualifier game back at suncorp stadium. It was the Aussie Socceroos vs. the Thailand War Elephants. The Socceroos are ranked 22nd on the fifa rankings and Thailand was 120. The game though did not show that Australia was significantly better. The Thailand supporters were a million times louder and passionate and it showed in the game. The Thailand fans had the fricken general leading their squad. He was too legit, you couldn't contain him. The whole game he was chanting and leading the entire Thailand section, the Thailand section had this awesome beat going the whole game that was really catchy. I found myself rooting for Thailand at a few points during the game. The general would yell Thailand! and Everyone else would shout back So So! The only chant I heard from the Aussies were "Aussie Aussie, OI OI" and "Bullshit". Most of the game was played on Australia's offensive, but Thailand scored 10/15 minutes into play and shocked the stadium and kept the lead through half time. The socceroos could not convert on any of their tries, but finally after the amount of attempts they had they won in the end 2-1 in the 85th minute. It was a good game, I wish the stadium had more passion though.

No comments:

Post a Comment