Saturday, September 24, 2011

Whales and Gilligan's Island

Today I had to wake up at 6:30 am to go on a whale watching cruise. The boat actually was kinda nice and a lot faster than I had thought. There was also this huge yacht (that cameron's dad owns, not really but shhh) that was estimated to be worth 50 million dollars. I could go off as to what a waste of money, resources, and so many other things goes into the pure existence of that boat, but I guess it's still cool.

Anyway for awhile we couldn't find any whales, but in the meantime I was chowin down on the free muffins they had. Mmm so good. In pure desperation the captain announced that the first person to report a whale sighting would receive a free bottle of wine. After another 30 min a bunch of people saw the first whale breaching and my buddy Skyler for ASU reported the finding. The captain said he could have 12 beers instead, but for whatever reason he got the bottle of wine and gave it to some dude! Rookie.
But the important thing was that I got to see some whales and god were they magnificent. They move slow and gracefully yet with care, reason, and purpose. They come to the surface to get air and then tail slap their way back down. One of the whales, Peter, actually started 'waving' at the boat. He was doing what is called a pectoral fin. He would lay on his side fins out of the water and slap one of his fins against the water. It was really cool. It was sad to leave Peter.





After the whale watching we were taken to an island to eat and chill for the rest of the day. They served us the usual free sausages, this time there was buns and condomates though so it was better. Oh god though, there was dijon mustard and damn was that strong. One little taste would send a blast though your nostrils and destroy any senses. It was so disgusting. After lunch Cam and I went kayaking in the little area. There wasn't much to do but the docked cruise boat had like a tunnel underneath it (hard to explain) but we felt like total bad assess kayaking underneath the boat, twice. Then when we got back in I was board and there was the really tall dock and I could only imagine myself at caminiti summer camp, I ran as fast as I could and took a giant leap off the dock. Good times.

When I had enough of that I got out of the water and I guess it was wallabie feeding time so it was cool to go pet/feed/see some wallabies. Then I took a hike with some friends. Cam and I found a goanna lizard, we went to go check it out closer and it just took off straight for this girl, courtney. But instead of mauling everyone and killing us we climbed up the nearby tree. Fiesty little fellow, quick too, probably should be more careful. The goanna was so cool looking though. I love lizards.

After the lizards we decided to pursue surf beach and the running joke of the nude beach. We saw a ginger wallabie along the way climbed some small sand dunes but got to the secluded beach. The surf wasn't good at all today and there were no hot nude chicks, but it was still completely satisfying. This beach was a lot nicer than the one we were at before and it felt like an accomplishment after a decent hike in the sun. But we realized we should start heading back because the boat was going to leave soon...

As we were getting back to the boat, the boat was parting. It had already undocked and started accelerating and all of our friends, or everyone for that matter was waving, smiling, laughing, joking, and taking pictures of us because we were the four kids that got left on the island. In my mind I just thought of it as comical and didn't really ponder as to what my next move was. Probably set up shelter, find some clean water, and build a fire. Then consider eating one of the others ;-). Haha but instead there was still some staff on the island who loaded us up into the speed boat and caught up to the big boat. So much better experience, we got a free speed boat ride. It gets even better. I got to fulfill a childhood dream of mine. Becoming a Pirate! Yes, I got to board a ship whilst it was moving. Haha it was so much fun. So yeah, of course that is something that would happen to me. And it was awesome!



Anyway tomorrow morning I'm heading to the outback until friday. Talk to everyone soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment