Saturday, October 22, 2011

Melbourne Rapped Up

Saturday Matt and Lydia showed me the rest of downtown Melbourne. We first went to the markets. It was the biggest I've ever seen, so many vendors selling all types of products, some souvenirs, some leather belts, some clothes, just about anything you can think of. Past all the shops was a huge area for groceries, and then another huge area for meat and fish, and finally the good stuff. Baked goods, sweets, and other delicious food. Food was really cheap I got some huge chicken sandwich for only $5. If anyone wants me to get them something from Australia by the way just tell me.



Then they showed me the docklands, which was where the old harbour used to be but now it's a converted to apartment complexes, touristy area. There was a fish and chip shop on the side of the water and three men were outside the shop fishing. They were definitely catching their fish that they sell. It's weird that it was funny because that's the way it should be done. Also in the bay they had an old wooden pirate ship sailing around.





After the docklands we headed over to the Eureka Tower, tallest building in Victoria. Pretty cool vantage point because you could see the whole city and the entire Melbourne area. Wasn't  the same as Sears "Willis" Tower though, Chicago is so much better :-P.



I saw the entire city of Melbourne and we were getting pretty tired so we walked back home. But on our way home we remembered that Melbourne had a famous jail, The Old Melbourne Gaol and they advertised a haunted tour so we thought that would be appropriate for the upcoming holiday. So later that night we built up the guts to go on this haunted tour. We kept building it up and hearing from people that it was really good and scary, but it was a let down. There were like 30 people on the tour first of all and it just wasn't scary. It was just one guy telling us the stories and history of the gaol in a dark creepy jail environment. So the tour part itself was interesting, but the scary factor was a let down. Look up Ned Kelly, he's like Victoria's version of baby face nelson. Famous for his self made armour.




Sunday:
Sunday Matt and I woke up early to watch the George Bulldogs game against Vanderbilt. We made eggs and played some beerpong on the awesome table he made. I thought I was going to extremely rusty because I've only played one other time whilst being in Australia. But I managed to beat Matt 3/4 times. Matt don't take it personal cuz I'm a legend back home. ;-) The rest of the day I watched movies with Lydia while Matt played volleyball with his coworkers. I know, probably not the best way to spend my time in Melbs, but it was nice to just hang out with my cousins and his girlfriend.



Monday:
I woke up mad early and went on a whole day tour to the great ocean road. It would take me forever to describe all the amazing views, so I'll just post a ton of pictures below. I will say the tour guide was really nice, funny, and good at telling stories which made the long car ride better. Also I met a lot of people. I met three students from Mexico, an old American couple from Michigan, some people from Paris who live right near the Champs Elysees. They barely knew English so I got to practice some of my french that I learned in high school. I learned that my french is awful, but I could actually hold somewhat of a conversation. Such RIDICULOUS AMAZING AWESOME  sites that I saw.

I just want to rap by saying Thank You Soooo Much to Matt and Lydia for everything. It was so nice to spend the weekend with you guys.






Click for Bigger View







No comments:

Post a Comment