Holy Cow, Honestly everyone I really don't know if I will be able to keep up with this, maybe once a week on weekends because it is only the end of the second day and I am wiped. Class starts at 9 and can go all the way up til 10pm. And if I'm not in lecture or sweet ass labs, then I'm eating or making new friends. The connection has not be as instant as I was anticipating, I believe it is in part due to the fact that there is such a diverse group of people here hailing from all backgrounds, ages, sexualities, cultures, parts of the U.S. and the world. Not everyone is in the one class either. There are other classes going on simultaneously, staff, teachers, and interns who all work/learn/live here. So the transition to making close friends will be a slower process. And although I may not be close with anyone already it can also be perceived that I am close with everyone already. Everyone here shares the same ideas and is aware of what is going on with our world and that it needs change. There have been so many deep conversations about quality of living, community development, pace of society, and all things that are screwed up with our world today. Which can be heart wrenching, but at the same time is relieving because you are discussing it with people who are open to new ideas and who care about the world we live in. This isn't just some hippy place where people go to indulge in copious amount of drugs, listen to funk, and all that jazz. Sure there is plenty of skinny dipping down by the creek, sure there is a lot of organic food and compost, sure there are some barefooters and women who don't shave, but truth is that there are people who have also never camped out before and everyone being accepted in the same community is so awesome. It is a true community where everyone can be themselves and exchange ideas and experiences.
Anyway so I've also managed to befriend the head chef, Heidi, who is an amazing women and knows a lot about cooking. She has been kind enough to sorta let me work-trade occasionally for dinner so I don't have to buy the expensive meal plan and not make it out the market so often. But I'm supposed to keep that no the DL.
In just these few days I've taught and sparked peoples interest with cordage and bow drills, while also making a really awesome hemlock tea. And learned an awesome stick throwing game that's called pooh. No one knows why... I've learned how to make Adobe blocks (clay, sand bricks that aren't fired), and been lectured and discussed natural building basics, what it is, common material, and ecology. Ecology is such a depressing subject, but I have a word for everyone to leave with and that is Resilience. I won't be able to put pictures up til after the program just FYI. Well... Til next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment